Thursday, July 17, 2008

RESULTS International Conference on Ending Poverty

We just had our International conference on ending poverty. It was wonderful and went really smoothly. However, my body has been so sore. I went out the other night to celebrate. I didn't get home until 5 in the morning! It was like Europe all over again.

So, I met Al Franken!! haha, he was having a private party at this brewery and I sort of crashed it. Got his photo, and posed with a congresswoman at the same time. I tried to pitch my organization..I hope he looked us up! I told him what we were called like 3 times: RESULTS RESULTS RESULTS!!

I also met with Rep. Matheson, Sen. Bennett in person, I met Orrin Hatch for a few moments, and the others i met with aides..except Cannon..but who cares about Cannon. I don't like to say I lobbied. I liked to say I advocated that day..for good causes...who can argue about saving dying children in Africa?

I advocated, and yesterday, with my own eyes and in person in the Congress building, senate side, I saw PEPFAR get reauthorized! It was great! I saw Orrin Hath change his vote on one of the amendments to cut funding of PEPFAR, he changed it from yes to no. I guess he wanted to be on the winning side.

Even though the last few days have been really busy, they've been really great as well. I finally feel like I'm connecting and making friends. I'm starting to like the city more... more than I used to...i'm settling in. And in 3 weeks and I'm suppose to leave. I'm a little sad about it, but at the same time I'm glad to get back. I miss my dog and comforts of home..but, D.C. is cool. Right now, I feel like i could stay for 3 more months. I especially will miss everyone I work with.

Everyone is so smart and talented--passionate and driven. It's a wonderful organization and I'm happy to be a part of it. I couldn't have asked for a better supervisor as well.

I think this experience out here has taught me to be more patient with myself...I've had these feelings that I needed to know what I wanted to do with my life right away. But there's no rush. I'm going to take some time off, maybe join a volunteer group, and see what happens. I'm happy to get back into school and hopefully take another music technology course. Maybe I'll go into sound engineering and do that on the side. Who knows, but i'm not in a rush...just a little bummed my experience here has to end.

No comments: